Hornady has just announced a new “all-range” hunting bullet designed for optimum performance regardless of whether the shot is very close or very far. The new Extremely Low Drag – eXpanding (ELD-X) bullets feature highest-in-class ballistic coefficients and the company claims consistent, controlled expansion at ALL practical hunting distances.
The secret to the ELD-X bullet is in a new tip. Using Doppler radar testing, Hornady engineers discovered that conventional polymer bullet tip materials used by all manufacturers in streamlined, high BC bullets melt and deform in flight. Although not a significant issue affecting moderate BC conventional tipped varmint and hunting bullets, aerodynamic heating causes BC reduction and degradation of accuracy, particularly at extended ranges (400 yds +). To counter that effect, Hornady identified a heat resistant polymer and developed the patent pending Heat Shield tip. This revolutionary new tip creates the perfect meplat (tip) with exceptionally consistent results from bullet-to-bullet and lot-to-lot.
At conventional range (0-400 yards), the ELD-X bullet is designed to continually expand throughout its penetration path. Upon impact, the thin nose section of the bullet peels back and sheds material until it reaches the thick shank of the bullet jacket where the InterLock ring works to keep the core and jacket together. The remaining heavy shank of the bullet continues to drive forward and expand for extremely lethal results.
Available as component bullets or in factory-loaded ELD-X Precision Hunter ammunition, ELD-X bullets are “heavy caliber” and designed for maximum ballistic coefficients, the highest levels of accuracy, consistency and extreme lethality at all practical hunting distances.
- Verified by Doppler radar, the Heat Shield tip defies the effects of aerodynamic heating and retains its shape to maintain the highest in-class BC over its entire trajectory.
- Match accurate hunting bullet.
- Streamlined secant ogive with optimum boattail design + highly concentric AMP bullet jackets + patent pending Heat Shield tip combine for radically superior aerodynamic efficiency.
- Devastating conventional range performance.
- With high velocity, 0-400 yard impact, the bullet continually expands throughout its penetration path. The thick shank of the jacket and high Interlock ring keep the core and jacket together providing 50-60% weight retention.
- Best extended range terminal available.
- Upon low velocity, 400+ yard impacts, Heat Shield tip drives backward into bullet to initiate expansion. Exhibiting expansion with a large and 85-90% retained weight that provides deep penetration and large cavities.
- Available as component bullets or in factory loaded Precision Hunter ammunition.
The Precision Hunter line will initially feature the following offerings:
- 6.5 Creedmoor 143-gr. ELD-X
• 7mm Rem Mag 162-gr. ELD-X
• .308 Win. 178-gr. ELD-X
• .30-’06 Sprg. 178-gr. ELD-X
• .300 RCM 178-gr. ELD-X
• .300 Win. Mag. 200-gr. ELD-X
• .300 RUM 220-gr. ELD-X
• .30-378 WBY 220-gr. ELD-X